Adaptation research is fundamentally about generating information, knowledge and tools concerned with determining:
- which primary industry systems or parts of systems are vulnerable to climate change;
- why they are vulnerable;
- what their adaptive capacity is;
- how this adaptive capacity can be increased;
- how an enterprise can move from adaptive capacity to adaptation actions; and
- what adaptation technologies, options and understanding are needed implement these actions.
There are different types of information required to support effective climate change adaptation by primary industry at the enterprise, industry and regional scales and by governments and industry organisations. Each of the seven PIARN research themes will undertake a diverse range of activities in order to identify the information and research needed to enable effective climate change adaptation responses at each scale and organisational level.